- The region of Brussels-Capital hosts, during a standard working day, 300.000 - 400.000 vehicles through the 5 main access roads to the Belgian and European capital
- During 2014-2015 : installation of 125 on-street displays allowing drivers to see nearby parking areas, direction towards, and parking free spots
- In this project, Pulsar is the Software Developer, IT - Mobile Network Integrator, and Hosting Manager
An important need is to make the display of parking areas dynamic :
- Each on-street Display mainly shows the nearby parking areas, by geolocalisation
- Closed or full parking areas should dissapear from the on-street Displays to leave place for available parking areas
- For Mobility management reasons, Brussels-Capital Region experts should be able to fix some important parking areas on pre-defined positions on the on-street Displays
- Idem to change the displaying order of parking areas on some on-street Displays
- New parking areas should be taken in account and displayed without changing the on-street infrastructure, neither the software deployement, but only by software parameters
Dynamic Parking Guidance System of Brussels-Capital
" Bruxelles Mobilité is the administration of the Brussels-Capital Region responsible for equipment, infrastructure and mobility issues. The primary challenge is to facilitate economic development – and the growing need for mobility solutions – while improving quality of life and sustainable development.
Bruxelles Mobilité oversees the definition of mobility strategies, projects to develop, renew and maintain public spaces and roads, as well as public transport infrastructure and taxis of the Region. In doing so, it fulfils essential tasks to protect quality of life and sustainable development in the Brussels-Capital region, sometimes in partnership with other bodies. "
Bruxelles Mobilité has introduced the "Téléjalonnement de Bruxelles-Capitale" project in order to improve the road traffic fluidity in the capital by redirecting drivers to transit parking lots and by encouraging them to use public transports. This project is called "Téléjalonnement des parkings". According to the definition elaborated by the region, it turns out to be a “system which gives drivers information in real time regarding the parking offer in infrastructures (indoor or not)”. Indeed some information will be given to drivers and will be displayed on road panels installed on the street.
Following a call for tender launched by the region of Brussels-Capital, the company SPIE Belgium was chosen to coordinate the project. Considering Pulsar’s expertise in the Intelligent Traffic Management, and the P-PGI tool (Pulsar Parking Guidance and Information tool), Pulsar was chosen to ensure the software part of the "Télé-jalonnement de Bruxelles" application (Dynamic Parking Guidance of Brussels-Capital).
With Charvet Industries as supplier of the on-street displays, SPIE coordinates the infrastructure, installation, and deployment of 125 on-street displays in Brussels-Capital's streets and cross-roads.
The display panels are 1,85m high and 2,05m wide and come up with 3 parts:
- A backlighted header with the colors and the logo of Brussels-Capital region and the sigh P for Parking
- A vertical strip with images (multicolored LED zone) on the left
- A monochrome LED zone on the right displaying parking lots' names and the number of free places
A first range of panels have been placed outside the city center in order to encourage people to use public transports and to decrease the number of cars in the zone.
The other panels have been installed in the city center to guide drivers to its parking lots.
In the future, an amount of 125 panels will be deployed along and near the 5 main roads which access to the city.
Philosophy of the project at the regional level
The Parking Guidance System must:
- start the guidance at the outside of the territory, towards the downtown, along the fast tracks
- encourage cars drivers to initially park in transit parking lots which are near public transports (Bus, Tram, Metro)
- only guide vehicles borrowing the ways regarded as “penetrating” in the IRIS Plan towards the Pentagon the
2 steps installation of on-street displays:
- A first group: to encourage the use of public transport and to reduce the number of vehicles which enter the center town (position chosen near public transport means)
- A second group : installed in the city even, sends the cars drivers towards the downtown parking lots
General architecture of the Project
The Dynamic Parking Guidance System application allows to gather various information on parking lots (name, location, number of parking spots available, etc.) and to display them on road panels in order to provide guidance to drivers.
The data are collected from the operators, are processed by the region and are returned to drivers through road panels and through the Bruxelles Mobility portal.
P-PGI Tool, Microsoft Windows Serveur 2012, Microsoft SQL Serveur 2012, Microsoft .NET v4.5, C#, Entity Framework, Pulsar Background SDK, SmartDeploy, Visual Studio 2013.
Microsoft AZURE: real IAAS, reliability, performance, easy scalability, automated backups and data distribution, multi-site possibility